Re: tidy mis-handles <pre> text containing <br>

At 12:27 AM 10/10/2002 +0200, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>* Charles Reitzel wrote:
> >In my test, the left-right alignment (the primary reason for
> >using <pre>) was messed up.  The Pre-Tidy sample lined up nicely
> >in both IE6 and NS6.
>
>But differently, IE 6.0 ignores sub-sequent <br>s while Opera 6.0 and
>Mozilla 1.0 insert a newline wherever they find a <br>.

>The http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quickref.html is wrong, while
>tab-size defaults to 8 (changed after the mentioned discussion) it is
>documented as defaulting to 4. If you replace all <br> with \n Tidy
>won't mess up anything hence that's where to look at.

Yup.  Leaving the "<br>" might be messing up the left-right (column)
alignment.  I tried a tweak to avoid putting out newlines right after <br>
for pre-formatted mode.  It had no real effect.  I also tried adding a
<b></b> here and there.  My current theory is that Tidy is including the
element names in it's character count.  This makes sense for pretty
printing, but not for pre-formatted elements.

take it easy,
Charlie