Re: tidy mis-handles <pre> text containing <br>

At 05:08 PM 10/9/2002 +0200, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>I am not sure whether we should remove the <br>. It's valid to use it
>inside pre and I am not even aware of any deprecatation of this
>practise; maybe it'd be better to leave it to the user to fix it.
>Anyway, if it is replaced, it must be replaced by \n, no matter of
>preceding or following newlines in order to emulate browser behaivour.

Ok, my mistake.  Broke down and read the DTD - again.

In HTML 3.2 the following are allowed inside <PRE> elements.

TT | I | B  | U | STRIKE |
EM | STRONG | DFN | CODE | SAMP | KBD | VAR | CITE
A | APPLET | BASEFONT | BR | SCRIPT | MAP
INPUT | SELECT | TEXTAREA

Yow!  Basically, %text/%inline less images and fonts.

HTML 4 is similar.

>I did not notice any problem with the tabs. What's wrong with them? Are
>they replaced by the wrong number of spaces? I remember we discussed
>this before and I proposed to change the default number of spaces. Did
>we reach consensus on that? Or is something else going wrong here?

In my test, the left-right alignment (the primary reason for using <pre>)
was messed up.  The Pre-Tidy sample lined up nicely in both IE6 and NS6.

The input has lots of tabs and _no_ newlines. So a) I think the code is not
adding the right number of spaces and b) any time we add a newline where
there wasn't one before, perhaps we should take away a <br>.  Either that,
or do not add newlines at all.

take it easy,
Charlie