Re: Source releases aren't compressed.

* Bill Pringlemeir wrote:
>These links list files as "tgz" with a size of 150k.
>
> "http://tidy.sourceforge.net/src/tidy_src.tgz"
> "http://tidy.sourceforge.net/src/old/"
>
>Gzip kept complaining of a bad header, so I looked at the files with
>Emacs in hexl-mode and they are straight tar file.

That's a result of

  % http-head http://tidy.sourceforge.net/src/tidy_src.tgz
  HTTP/1.1 200 OK
  Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 23:50:56 GMT
  Server: Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) PHP/4.1.2
  Last-Modified: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 06:50:03 GMT
  ETag: "f5259-2598a-3da12e9b"
  Accept-Ranges: bytes

The resource is beeing delivered as tar document compressed using
"x-gzip" at the protocol level. Your user agent decompressed the
resource while leaving the .tgz extension untouched. I am not sure
why Apache responds like this and I certainly don't like it; I'll
look into how to fix it.