RE: [Tidy-dev] TidyHTML builds [was Re: Even weirder]

From: Charles Reitzel <creitzel@rcn.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 10:08:13 -0400
To: Terry Teague <terry_teague@users.sourceforge.net>
Cc: <tidy-develop@lists.sourceforge.net>, html-tidy@w3.org

At 12:10 AM 9/16/2002 -0700, Terry Teague wrote:
>At 01:50 PM 9/13/2002 -0400, Jelks Cabaniss wrote:
>
> >>PS.  Any heads-up on when Tidylib becomes the main branch?
>
>I'm waiting for Charlie to come clean on the list about the "-slides"
>option <grin>.

You have forced me to tell all.  Here's the deal, I cut slide making
support out of TidyLib.   It simply broke the overall I/O model of the
library.  That, and there are better tools for the job, namely XSLT.

I really have no idea how many people use the -slides option.  It has
always looked excessively hard-coded to my eye.  You really want to use
external template files: one for the TOC and another for the individual
slides.  The templates would contain any needed scripts or stylesheets,
etc.  In C in TidyLib is a tricky and inflexible place to maintain that stuff.

Any arguments in favor?  If there are folks who still want to use it, Tidy
"Classic" will still be available.  In any case, it should be built as a
utility based on the library.

Comments?

take it easy,
Charlie