RE: Which link at SourceForge?

Quin Selman wrote:

> I used to use Dave Raggett's html-tidy on my Win9x machines. Now I
> have WinXP and want to use a recent html-tidy version (especially
> to integrate with NoteTab Pro).
>
> Unfortunately, I can't make sense of the page at
> http://tidy.sourceforge.net/; I guess I don't understand the
> terminology. Will someone reply with the download link to the
> executable file I need?

Although this should change in the (hopefully) near future, for right
now the place to get the Win32 executable (which is what you want for
NoteTab Pro) is at

	http://users.rcn.com/creitzel/tidy.html

(click the link there that says "Win32 Command Line" utility).  Once
you've downloaded that, the link at Sourceforge that you SHOULD look at
is

	http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quickref.html

which shows all the config options you can set in your config file.

Once the new Tidy ("Tidylib") is fleshed out, the executable should
appear on the main Sourceforge page.

Yes, I agree, the "Binaries" section of that page is currently too
confusing for regular Windows users who just want to download an
executable and run Tidy.  I think that instead of separating it between
"Automated Builds" and "Other Builds", it should list ALL executables at
the TOP of that section (perhaps with the date they were built right
after each one).  Normal users don't care whether it was an automated
build or not, they just want the latest and greatest for their platform.

[Terry, Charlie, et.al. a possibility for that section:

    BINARIES

      FreeBSD/x86             10 September, 2002
      Linux/Alpha             10 September, 2002
      Linux/PPC               10 September, 2002
      Linux/Sparc             10 September, 2002
      Linux/x86               10 September, 2002
      Mac OS X/Darwin         10 September, 2002
      Solaris/Sparc           10 September, 2002

      Windows (Win32/x86)     8 August, 2002

    [Note: If you are not comfortable working with the latest
    versions of Tidy, you can stay with the last official
    release of Tidy, by Dave Raggett on 04 Aug 00. However,
    there have been many changes and bugs fixed in Tidy since
    that release, and you are encouraged to use the latest
    versions. If you need the original 04 Aug 00 executable for
    Win32, you can download that *here*.]

    Excluding the Windows executable, all the above are
    automatically built using SourceForge's compile farm, from
    current CVS sources. These executables do NOT have support
    for Asian and UTF16 character encodings. Documentation and
    sources are not included in the tarball. You may download
    documentation and sources separately.

      Download *older versions* of the executables.

    For more information on the HTML Tidy release process,
    please see the FAQ item on Tidy versions.

    OTHER BINARIES

]

/Jelks