RE: Tidy adding returns inside xml elements

From: Parsons, Rick <rick.parsons@eds.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 08:46:13 +0100
To: "'html-tidy@w3.org'" <html-tidy@w3.org>

Charlie said

would say convert them.  The only place I can see this being a problem for
someone running an XML document through tidy might not expect it to make
this kind of change.  I would be pleasantly surprised if it did this but
some might not.  I hate to say it, but maybe there should be an option that
would default to creating the "<empty />" elements.

The drawback is recent browser handling of certain XHTML elements. One we
have discussed before is <script src="..." /> in the <head> section. This
should be equivalent to <script src="..."></script> but many browsers don't
handle it correctly.

An option would be fine (and probably useful) but I think the default should
be to not to convert.

Rick Parsons

Bristol, England