Re: <HR> in <PRE>

From: Klaus Johannes Rusch <KlausRusch@atmedia.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 20:58:38 CET
To: html-tidy@w3.org
In <200202040117.OAA290018@atlas.otago.ac.nz>, "Richard A. O'Keefe" <ok@atlas.otago.ac.nz> writes:

>  - if any version of Tidy *does* change block-level tags <FOO> to
>    quasi-CDATA &lt;FOO&gt; inside <PRE> that's a really disastrous mistake
>    + if it changes all tags, that will break legal pages
>    + if it changes some tags but not others, that will NOT have the
>      "poor-man's CDATA section" effect that he says is wanted

I am NOT saying that converting everything between <pre> and </pre> as if it
was a CDATA section is desirable but it is the output I get from the current
tidy build.

I would in fact argue that the functionality is a bad idea, however rather than
taking your wish for tidy to behave differently and possibly break another
user's use of tidy, I would like to (1) understand why the implementation is as
it is now and (2) what the best output for tidy would be.

Klaus Johannes Rusch