Re: How do i use this

From: Rijk van Geijtenbeek <rijk@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:01:13 +0100
To: html-tidy@w3.org
13-2-02 1:18:22, "Kyle Bobiwash" <capyouth1@yahoo.com> schreef:

>  I am not exactly sure how I should be using this HTML program.
>  I have some .htm and .html files that I would like it to scan to make them
>  cleaner looking and to correst some of the syntax errors that I missed.
>  Could someone please give me a few tips on the step-by-step procedure
>  required to use this program

I find it easiest to run Tidy from *inside* a text based editor. NoteTab has a
command 'Tidy HTML code' that calls the tidy program. See
http://www.notetab.com/
This is easy to setup.

There's also a standalone user interface for Tidy, see
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/ablavier/TidyGUI/

If you don't want this, you can run Tidy from the command line. Press the start
button, choose 'Run', enter the command. Depending on your file locations,
something like this:
  c:\tidy\tidy.exe -config config.txt c:\to_be_tidied.html > c:\tidied.html
... were config.txt contains the config options, and is located in the C:\tidy\
directory.

I can send you a complete config.txt file off-list, were all options are
explained on
separate comment lines.

If you want the file to overwrite the original (think about backups in that
case...) use this command:
  c:\tidy\tidy.exe -config config.txt -m c:\to_be_tidied.html

... or set the switch
  write-back: yes
in the config.txt, then you don't need the -m parameter in the command line.

--
 If you don't like having choices    |  Rijk van Geijtenbeek
 made for you, you should start      |