Re: How do i use this

From: Rijk van Geijtenbeek <rijk@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:01:13 +0100
To: html-tidy@w3.org
13-2-02 1:18:22, "Kyle Bobiwash" <capyouth1@yahoo.com> schreef:

>  I am not exactly sure how I should be using this HTML program.
>  I have some .htm and .html files that I would like it to scan to make them
>  cleaner looking and to correst some of the syntax errors that I missed.
>  Could someone please give me a few tips on the step-by-step procedure
>  required to use this program

I find it easiest to run Tidy from *inside* a text based editor. NoteTab has a
command 'Tidy HTML code' that calls the tidy program. See
This is easy to setup.

There's also a standalone user interface for Tidy, see

If you don't want this, you can run Tidy from the command line. Press the start
button, choose 'Run', enter the command. Depending on your file locations,
something like this:
  c:\tidy\tidy.exe -config config.txt c:\to_be_tidied.html > c:\tidied.html
... were config.txt contains the config options, and is located in the C:\tidy\

I can send you a complete config.txt file off-list, were all options are
explained on
separate comment lines.

If you want the file to overwrite the original (think about backups in that
case...) use this command:
  c:\tidy\tidy.exe -config config.txt -m c:\to_be_tidied.html

... or set the switch
  write-back: yes
in the config.txt, then you don't need the -m parameter in the command line.

 If you don't like having choices    |  Rijk van Geijtenbeek
 made for you, you should start      |
 making your own. -  Neal Stephenson |  mailto:rijk@opera.com