Re: Problem with <HR> tags

From: Klaus Johannes Rusch <KlausRusch@atmedia.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 14:46:35 CET
To: "Graham Coward" <coward@alphalink.com.au>
Cc: <html-tidy@w3.org>
In <001d01c18f8b$59e39e00$636fa1ca@grahamcoward>, "Graham Coward" <coward@alphalink.com.au> writes:
> I use a program called GEDPAGE to generate genealogical charts as HTML =
> pages. When I run TIDY on them I get the following error message and the =
> <hr> tags are rendered unintelligible.
>
> line 13 column 1 - Warning: unescaped <hr> in pre content
>
> Can anyone please tell me why?

<pre> only allows inline content, which <hr> is not:

<!ELEMENT PRE - - (%inline;)* -(%pre.exclusion;) -- preformatted text -->

If the <hr> tags generated by GEDPAGE are just for decoration, i.e. between two
preformatted charts, this could be changed to

<pre>
</pre>
<hr />
<pre>
</pre>

Otherwise if <hr> tags are used to draw lines within the charts you would need
to replace those with a series dashes -- also more portable than an <hr>, which
may be rendered differently by the browser.

--
Klaus Johannes Rusch
KlausRusch@atmedia.net