Re: Tidy bug

From: Klaus Johannes Rusch <KlausRusch@atmedia.net>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 14:59:06 -0400 (EDT)
To: "Noble Baker" <noblebaker@hotmail.com>
Cc: html-tidy@w3.org

In <DAV46zhad2VqKwRPQIW00000552@hotmail.com>, "Noble Baker" <noblebaker@hotmail.com> writes:
> I get an error report similar to the following on all documents  I run
> through tidy except on the first time I run it on a new document, in which
> case it doesn't show any warnings about the "id" values.  It seems to be
> referring to some <a name="xx"> tags which I use to link to specific dates
> in my online journal, which tidy added "id" values to per w3c recommendation
> for XHTML (I'm confused by this because "id" is use for CSS2 also, so it
> could cause conflict) but it seems to think the whole document is on one
> line!

The problem is that not every attribute value that can be used for the name
attribute is also valid as an id, not sure how to best resolve this.

Option 1: The current behaviour, which does not change the id and name values
but may result in invalid IDs.

Option 2: Change just the id value if needed, which results in id and name not
being consistent any more.

Option 3: Change both the id and name values, which ensures consistency but can
break links within the document, or from another document.

I believe Option 1 is still the best choice, although tidy should warn about
the invalid id attribute value right away, not only when running it against the
document again.

--
Klaus Johannes Rusch
KlausRusch@atmedia.net