Re: Allowing other tags...

I do not know JTidy at all, but the C version contains an option to add
"new" tags.  The following is from Dave's original documentation:

You can teach Tidy about new tags by declaring them in the configuration
file, the syntax is:
new-inline-tags: tag1, tag2, tag3 new-empty-tags: tag1, tag2, tag3
new-blocklevel-tags: tag1, tag2, tag3 new-pre-tags: tag1, tag2, tag3
The same tag can be defined as empty and as inline or as empty and as block.
These declarations can be combined to define an a new empty inline or
empty block element, but you are not advised to declare tags as being
both inline and block!
Note that the new tags can only appear where Tidy expects inline or
block-level tags respectively. This means you can't (yet) place new tags
within the document head or other contexts with restricted content
models. So far the most popular use of this feature is to allow Tidy to
be applied to Cold Fusion files.

I would hope a similar options would be available in JTidy.  Note that
this does not deal with arbitrary unknown tags, but should work if you
have a defined set of new, non-html-compliant tags.