Invalid escapes... [Was: Re: Error in HTML Tidy Beta

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>

:

> Tidy is required to escape URIs like it does by various specifications,
> especially HTML 4 and http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/ I am sorry if this
> causes any trouble (I haven't checked this for mailto:-URIs), but
> non-ASCII characters are invalid in URIs and you shouldn't have used
> them.

Does anyone know of a technical document that might discuss the appropriate
behavior by a program parsing html that indicates appropriate alternatives
for handling invalid escapes?  For instance, if a program hits the html
string
<A HREF="http://www.somestory.com/story1.html">hit&run accident</a>

what are the recommended (or perhaps required) behaviors in interpreting
&run?  Some applications seem to leave things alone, some delete the invalid
escapes, and some replace the escape with an 'error' character...  Are all
these 'correct' behaviors?

--
Never apply a Star Trek solution to a Babylon 5 problem.
Larry W. Virden <mailto:lvirden@cas.org> <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/>