Re: xml versus xhtml

From: Daniel Biddle <deltab@osian.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 11:17:09 +0000
To: html-tidy@w3.org
On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 05:35:19PM -0400, Paul wrote:
:
> This seems consistent with earlier observed tidy behavior, namely that
> xhtml1.0 dtd disallows <p> within <h1>. So tidy closes the <h1>, etc.
> But I didn't specify output-xhtml.  I specified output-xml.  Isn't the
> input to tidy valid h1 'xml'?  If so, why does tidy seem to force
> compliance with the xhtml dtd?

The names suggest that output-xml and output-xhtml affect the output
phase, by which stage the input has already been parsed and tidied. I
think you also need to set the input-xml option, as described in
<http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/>:

    input-xml: bool
          If set to yes, Tidy will use the XML parser rather than
          the error correcting HTML parser. The default is no.

hope this helps,
--
Daniel Biddle <deltab@osian.net>