XHTML question

From: Mike Connelly <mjcfcga@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 03:39:34 -0400 (EDT)
To: html-tidy@w3.org
Mr Raggett

I was introduced to HTML Tidy when I purchased HomeSite last year. It has
been a tremendous aid to me as I learn HTML and now XHTML. Thank you.

I am currently working my way through 'Beginning XHTML'' from Wrox and note
that you are one of the authors.

My present puzzle is as follows:

In the book's examples, the following line appears - I believe I have
copied it correctly.

When I run Tidy (inside HomeSite) against an HTML file containing the
above, I get the following.

         Tidy (vers 30th April 2000) Parsing "input.html"
         line 4 column 1 - Warning: <html> has XML attribute "xml:lang"

         "input.html" appears to be XHTML 1.0 Transitional
         1 warnings/errors were found!

Would appreciate you please advising which is correct - the book or the
Tidy output or if a change to Tidy is in order.

Thanks for your help
Mike Connelly
Michael J. Connelly, FCGA (Mike)
1107 Tuxedo Drive, Port Moody, BC, Canada  V3H 1L3
Tel 604.936.7417   Fax 604.936.0466
Web site: http://www3.telus.net/mjconnelly/index.htm