XHTML/XML slash for ending empty tags

From: Tom Alsberg <alsbergt@zoopee.org>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 05:11:47 -0400 (EDT)
To: html-tidy@w3.org
  Hi there.

  I lately started using XHTML as a markup language, and HTML tidy
doesn't seem to tidy accordingly. XHTML (or XML, for that matter),
requires empty tags to end with a slash, like this:

<emptytag />

  But when I use tidy -m on an XHTML document, it seems to remove all
the slashes from the empty tags, causing the document not to be valid
XHTML afterwards.

  Is there somewhere tidy can be configured to conform to XHTML when
given a XHTML DTD?
  The version of tidy I'm using is:
HTML Tidy release date: 4th August 2000

  Would a newer version conform to XHTML better?

  Thanks in advance, any help appreciated,
  -- Tom Alsberg

--
  Tom Alsberg - certified insane, complete illiterate.
        e-mail: <alsbergt@softhome.net>