Fw: Rather obscure(maybe pointless)

----- Original Message -----
From: drcarothers
To: html-tidy@w3.org
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2001 3:55 PM
Subject: Rather obscure(maybe pointless)

to the keepers of HTML-tidy:
 The attached document indicates a very minor observation(I am only a few months new
in this land) :
   Namely...the document is NOT perfect (the tag following text 'ghi' should be </td>,
not <td>.  Now HTML TIDY does the right thing and closes the td and opens a new one,
with null content.  IE5.5 apparently does exactly the same thing (I am not yet Browser
polyglot so I dont know why CellMap won't work on Netscape...but no matter).  Therefore
it is ONLY by perusing the structure of the document, that the flaw is discovered (all
spanning elements have id provided to the anonymous one is found ... as indicated by
the sequential commas in the window - ok, looking at the TIDY output shows it too).
  Thus my observation is just this:  In the absence of ANY warning/error messages from html-tidy, I would conclude that my document is PERFECT...which it is not.  Should I have expected to be warned that tidy is benificently repairing such a minor flaw. (I have not yet thought of the possible ramifications of the empty cell inserted).
  New learner on the Web (although a programmer by trade for many years)
(and so new I forgot to attach the file !!!!! should be here now)