Problem with <textarea>

From: R. Scott Granneman <scott@granneman.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 17:55:10 -0600
To: html-tidy@w3.org
After running tidy, I noticed that this code is being generated:

<textarea name="textfield" cols="50" rows="4">
</textarea>

Because </textarea> is output on the next line, about 50 characters are
being inserted between <textarea> & </textarea>. This will undoubtedly
confuse users when they find that they can click anywhere in the textbox;
further, if someone is not careful, extra whitespace will be inserted into
the output from the textbox, which could cause problems later.

Any way around this? Isn't this a bug, & wouldn't it be better if
</textarea> was on the same line as <textarea>?

Scott

R. Scott Granneman, Granneman Information Solutions
scott@granneman.com || vox: 314-862-4919
  www.granneman.com || fax: 651-319-6023

"I enjoy fireworks but stars is nice too."
     --- New York City taxi cab driver