XML XHTML and entities

From: Walter Logeman <walter@psybernet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 15:04:15 +1300
To: html-tidy@w3.org
I am new to HTML tidy, just found it in Homesite 4.52.

I am experimenting with making a transition to XML, and at present am as far as
having some CSS and using HTML tidy to make the docs XHTML compliant.

I am not sure if i am really on the right track.  This is probably not the group
for these more general questions, but a pointer to a good tutorial would help.

More specifically I am trying to use entities.  They sound marvelous.

I have inserted

<!ENTITY gs "GroupSense">

Into the DTD however Tidy is removing that line.

Even with it in, IE 5.00 will not generate the entity.  Nor will Opera.  Is it
IE 5.5 only?

Perhaps it is a case of changing the Tidy settings, which i have been exploring
to little avail so far.  I'd be happy to post up what i have.

A typical file of mine is at:

Walter Logeman
Weblog: http://www.psybernet.co.nz/weblog/