XML XHTML and entities

From: Walter Logeman <walter@psybernet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 15:04:15 +1300
To: html-tidy@w3.org
I am new to HTML tidy, just found it in Homesite 4.52.

I am experimenting with making a transition to XML, and at present am as far as
having some CSS and using HTML tidy to make the docs XHTML compliant.

I am not sure if i am really on the right track.  This is probably not the group
for these more general questions, but a pointer to a good tutorial would help.

More specifically I am trying to use entities.  They sound marvelous.

I have inserted

[
<!ENTITY gs "GroupSense">
	]

Into the DTD however Tidy is removing that line.

Even with it in, IE 5.00 will not generate the entity.  Nor will Opera.  Is it
IE 5.5 only?

~~~

Perhaps it is a case of changing the Tidy settings, which i have been exploring
to little avail so far.  I'd be happy to post up what i have.

A typical file of mine is at:

<http://www.groupsense.co.nz/resources/template.html>

Thanks,

Walter