Re: Code markup aren't maintained preformatted

From: J. David Bryan <jdbryan@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 16:07:12 -0500
To: HTML Tidy List <html-tidy@w3.org>
On 8 Feb 2001, at 16:25, Ludovic Maitre wrote:

> Usually the <code> markups are preformatted (it's not always the case but
> it's often), so when i pass a document into tidy he unwrap all the lines
> contained in <code>.

That is correct, because <code> is *not* the same as <pre>.  See:

It says, in part:

   For all HTML elements except PRE, sequences of white space separate
   "words" [...].  When formatting text, user agents should identify these
   words and lay them out according to the conventions of the particular
   written language (script) and target medium.

   The PRE element is used for preformatted text [p.97], where white
   space is significant.

> It's not a correct behaviour because, as you can see in my tidy.conf and
> the attached example file, i don't declare that i want tidy to unwrap
> this markup.

"Wrap: 0" does not mean "leave the lines exactly as in the source file."
It means, "do not wrap the lines after processing."  See:

...and look under "Layout style" to see why this is.

> So please let me know if there is a way for tidy don't unwrap my code
> markup.

You must put your <code> element inside a <pre> element if you do not want
it to wrap:

  <pre><code>ab -n 1000 -c 10 -t 30 -v 3 -w \

                                      -- Dave