line breaking bug in tidy

From: Volker Kuhlmann <kuhlmav@elec.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 21:30:49 -0500 (EST)
To: html-tidy@w3.org
[Resending this to the correct place...]
[I'm not subscribed to this list]

I just thought I settle for tidy as pretty-printer for my html pages
produced by quanta+, but found this bug which alters the page layout.

The problem is white space inserted by tidy:

    details and the <A href="http://1.2.3.4/photosoc/resources">
    resources</A>.</P>

Originally, this would have been as

    details and the
    <A href="http://132.181.52.72/photosoc/resources">resources</A>.</P>

This is quite common, esp for long URLs. It looks really bad to have
the link text underlined too far to the left (shows in netscape and
konqueror). If necessary, the specified max line length would have to
be exceeded.

Here is the config I used:

markup: yes
wrap: 80
tab-size: 8
indent: auto
indent-spaces: 2
input-xml: no
output-xml: no
output-xhtml: no
char-encoding: latin1
uppercase-tags: yes
uppercase-attributes: no
write-back: no
keep-time: no
show-warnings: yes
tidy-mark: no

Version Apr 2000

Another minor thing: tidy replaces the <p> in

<P><HR size="3" noshade width="100%"></P>

with a <br>. I don't like that. Can I prevent that somehow?

A suggestion: start indentation at a higher level, inserting 2 spaces
between <body>..</body> is a waste of line space - I always know where
the body tags are.

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann <v.kuhlmann@elec.canterbury.ac.nz>