Re: not a bug report, really

From: Klaus Johannes Rusch <KlausRusch@atmedia.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 12:31:04 CET
To: <html-tidy@w3.org>
Cc: "Vladislav /VSiNC/" <vsinc@plovdiv.techno-link.com>
In <001801c07c9c$e7361ec0$390524d4@deviatorxl>, "Vladislav /VSiNC/" <vsinc@plovdiv.techno-link.com> writes:
> This code below seems to confuse Tidy 1.1! Or maybe I'm making some kind
> of a mistake?

The problem is that part of the HTML code is generated by Javascript while the
other part is in the HTML source file directly:

line 1 column 561 - Warning: inserting implicit <font>
line 1 column 655 - Warning: replacing unexpected </noscript> by </font>
line 1 column 666 - Warning: missing </noscript> before </a>

Tidy only sees an </a> tag and correctly reports a missing start tag. Also
the nesting of font and script tags is causing some trouble here.

I recommend that you always have start and end tags in the same source, either
both generated by Javascript or both hardcoded in the HTML source (you can
always change attributes using Javascript, instead of generating the tags).

If you are forced to use the code as is, maybe you can move it to a server-side
include (SSI) like this

<!--#include virtual="/include/webstats.ssi -->

so Tidy will only see a comment, whereas the web server if configured to handle
SSI will include the code.

--
Klaus Johannes Rusch
KlausRusch@atmedia.net