Chinese characters are converted into entities..

From: Jason Chang <jasonchang244@kimo.com.tw>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 09:33:23 +0800
To: <html-tidy@w3.org>
I am using JTidy to convert HTML with content of traditional Chinese characters (double bytes) to well-formed XML.
It seems that every single Chinese  character is converted to two XML entities like follows:

Input (Traditional Chinese):

Output (XML entities):
&curren;&curren;&curren;&aring;&acute;&uacute;&cedil;&Otilde;

Is this an encoding problem? or is there any property of JTidy I can config to prevent JTidy converting double bytes characters to XML entities?

Many thanks,
Jason Chang