HTML Tidy question (fwd)

From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 17:23:23 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
To: html-tidy@w3.org

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 11:18:07 -0500
From: Matthew Kees <mkees@mnlife.com>
To: "'dsr@w3.org'" <dsr@w3.org>
Subject: HTML Tidy question

Mr. Raggett,

Let me start by saying that HTML Tidy is a great program that will save my
organization many headaches.  However, I have found one instance in which I
cannot seem to get the program to convert the output in an appropriate
manner.  Following is one such example...

Original Line:
<script language=JavaScript src="/_global/leftnav/<%=leftnav%>.js">

HTML Tidy Line:
<script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript"
src="/_global/leftnav/&lt;%=leftnav%&gt;.js">

The problem arises when the < and > are converted to &lt; and &gt;
respectively.  We have many other instances of ASP embedded in HTML that
does not produce this result.  It seems to be because the ASP is within the
quotes of the src tag.  Do you know what could be done or what needs to be
set correctly within the configuration to fix this problem.  I've searched
through all the documentation I can find but have not been able to find a
solution.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Matthew Kees
Programmer Trainee