RE: SourceForge Project Approved

From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 08:48:54 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
To: Randy Waki <rwaki@flipdog.com>
cc: "Reitzel, Charlie" <CReitzel@arrakisplanet.com>, html-tidy@w3.org, "'Adrian Mugnolo'" <adrianm@yahoo-inc.com>, "'Bjoern Hoehrmann'" <derhoermi@gmx.net>, "'Sebastian Lange'" <lange@cyperfection.de>, Kevin Brannen <kevin.brannen@springbow.com>, "'???'" <bubblesort@pchome.com.tw>, "'Tin Le'" <tin@le.org>, Valeri.Atamaniouk@nokia.com, "'Aaron Chan'" <aliceyeung@ozemail.com>, "'Richard A. O'Keefe'" <ok@atlas.otago.ac.nz>, ablavier@wanadoo.fr, ac.quick@sympatico.ca, dforcier@macromedia.com, info@sl-chat.de, teague@mailandnews.com
On Mon, 21 May 2001, Randy Waki wrote:

> Reitzel, Charlie wrote:
> >
> > Also, just to get some discussion started, here is a tidy.h.  Comments,
> > alternatives, corrections, suggestions, questions, flames all appreciated.
>
> What does everyone think about making an initial Tidy release that just
> incorporates the outstanding bug fixes?  That would provide a chance to
> iron out kinks in the new procedures and provide a more stable base from
> which to launch the API changes.
>
> Randy

I have been working in Tidy on and off for the last few months but
didn't want to issue a new release until the major issues were dealt
with. After a US trip next week, I will at last get a respite from
travel over the Summer months, and plan to focus on the following
areas:

 * A major overhaul of how Tidy figures out the doctype based
   on the elements and attributes in the document content

 * When o/p to XHTML ensuring that the content of script and style
   elements are wrapped within CDATA marked sections using the
   appropriate comment syntax to hide these from non-XML browsers

 * New option to enable/disable propagation of inline emphasis

 * Cleaner separation of front-end/back-end so that Tidy can be
   used as thread-safe library

 * Other miscellaneous bug fixes

Regards,

-- Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> or <dave.raggett@openwave.com>
W3C Visiting Fellow, see http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett
tel/fax: +44 122 578 3011 (or 2521) +44 771 213 7629 (mobile)