Re: W3C Validation and Tidy

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 18:30:48 +0200
To: "P. Joseph Gabig" <jgabig@wildlifeconsult.com>
Cc: html-tidy@w3.org
* P. Joseph Gabig wrote:
>I have cleaned my HTML code until Tidy reports no errors or warnings.  I have checked
>several of these files via W3C validation programs and each has checked out fine.
>It would take me quite a while to validate each file since I have a few web sites and
>a good number of files.  I would like to place the W3C validation GIF on my sites.
>
>Question: If I get no errors w/ Tidy GUI 1.1.4 which uses Tidy Version 4, August
>2000, will these files also check out without errors (using HTML 4.01 Transitional)
>at the W3C validation site - which would mean I can use the GIF without running each
>file through the validation program?

Well, not necessarily. Tidy finds most errors in HTML documents, but
there is a not so small number of errors, that Tidy doesn't find; also
there is a number of SGML constructs, Tidy couldn't parse properly, so
don't rely on HTML Tidy.

You can use http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/ or
http://arealvalidator.com/ to check whole sites to insure your pages are
really valid.