Re: FW: Making HTML Tidy a supported library

From: Richard A. O'Keefe <ok@atlas.otago.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 11:43:28 +1200 (NZST)
To: CReitzel@arrakisplanet.com, derhoermi@gmx.net, teague@mailandnews.com
Cc: ablavier@wanadoo.fr, ac.quick@sympatico.ca, dforcier@macromedia.com, html-tidy@w3.org, info@sl-chat.de
Terry Teague <teague@mailandnews.com> wrote:
	I was waiting for a future DOM
	based Tidy to make major architectural changes to my code.

Er, why would any sane programmer *WANT* a DOM-based Tidy?
The DOM may very possibly be a good way to expose a browser's internal
representation to a script, although I have very serious doubts about
that, but if there is a worse representation for actually *doing*
anything with an XML document I have yet to see it described in print.

I hope that my article about problems in the DOM will soon be available
on the Web; it's been accepted, reviewed, the contract's signed, and I
just have to clear up the reviewer's points.  Trouble is, the DOM has
so _many_ problems that it's quite a big article.

Let me put it this way:  the fact that people prefer JDOM to the DOM
says really terrible things about DOM.