Parsing into a DOM HTMLDocument

From: Brett McLaughlin <brett@newInstance.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 21:37:23 -0500
To: <html-tidy@w3.org>
Hey all-

  I've spent all day searching for a means of parsing an (X)HTML document,
and getting an HTMLDocument DOM structure as a result. It's pretty trivial
to find a means of getting an org.w3c.dom.Document from an XML document,
which of course includes XHTML. My problem is in finding a way to get an
org.w3c.dom.html.HTMLDocument from an XHTML document. Is there no way to do
this with Tidy/JTidy, or something else? From what I can see, short of
creating a new document with HTMLDOMImplementation, there's no way to get an
existing XHTML file into an XHTMLDocument short of doing it by hand. Please
someone tell me how I'm wrong and enlighten me! ;-)

Thanks,
Brett