Re: moving text on web sites.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Russell Gold" <russgold@acm.org>
To: "Eric" <e.richards@clear.net.nz>; "Tidy group" <html-tidy@w3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2000 11:56 AM
Subject: Re: moving text on web sites.

: At 3:16 PM -0500 12/25/00, Eric wrote:
: >I think it is very easy to find correct dimension of any picture, in just three steps.
: >
: >(1) open picture with Internet Explorer (a very popular program)
: >(2) save as (filename.bmp)
: >(3) open *.bmp picture with MS paint (comes with windows 95, 98 ....?) get height & width dimensions from
: >there
: >
: >what could be easier, almost as simple as saying "I don't understand"
: >
: >what's the matter with everybody?
:
: I'm not sure why you think this is relevant.

HTML "TIDY"NESS is that so hard to understand

 I have worked on many web sites in which there was not always perfect coordination between the HTML coders
and the artists.  It is not that it is difficult to determine the dimensions of a single picture (as long as
you are running Windows, anyway - some people do not).  It is that when you have dozens of images, it does not
happen automatically - and using the wrong dimensions is worse than using no dimensions.
:
: Russell Gold                     | "... society is tradition and order
: russgold@acm.org    (preferred)  | and reverence, not a series of cheap
: russgold@netaxs.com              | bargains between selfish interests."
: rgold@thesycamoregroup.com       |   - Poul Anderson, "Iron"
: