Re: Bug+Fix for user-defined inline tags and inline propagation

From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 17:24:13 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)
To: Randy Waki <rwaki@flipdog.com>
cc: html-tidy@w3.org
The idea behind implied inline emphasis elements is to match the
observed behavior of Netscape and Internet Explorer. In other words
to create a valid parse tree that closely matches the rendering of
the untidied markup.

If you are using a text editor and accidentally screw up an end tag,
you probably don't want Tidy to propagate emphasis right down the
page. What this is saying is that we need an option to control this
behavior. I will work on this for the next release.

p.s. sorry for the slow pace of development recently. I changed
employers in October (from HP Labs to Openwave) and have been
very busy travelling etc. This month, I dropped some of my W3C
responsibilities to free up time, and hope do better in the new
year.

Regards,

-- Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> or <dave.raggett@openwave.com>
W3C Visiting Fellow, see http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett
tel/fax: +44 122 578 3011 (or 2521) +44 771 213 7629 (mobile)