Syntactic vs. stylistic issues

From: Howard Kaikow <kaikow@standards.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 19:33:52 -0500
To: html-tidy@w3.org
Cc: Howard Kaikow <kaikow@standards.com>
I downloaded TidyGUI for the first time yesterday.

I am primarily interested in detecting syntactic errors, e.g., detecting
omission of  </TABLE>. I am not interested in stylistic thingees, such as
when to (ab)use <P> or <BR>.

Is Tidy the wrong tool for my interests?

I am puzzled by  some of the spacing decisions being made by Tidy. Is there
available a complete description of what Tidy does?

For example, I have the following construct in a number of files (Note that
the URLs below are not, as far as I know, actual URLs):

<P><BLOCKQUOTE><B>Usage Note:</B> If you have difficulty accessing
ftp.DoesNotExist.com, you may try ftp.MaybeThisExists.com.</BLOCKQUOTE>

The intent was to get an indented block as follows:

         Usage Note: If you have difficulty accessing ftp.DoesNotExist.com,
you may try  ftp.MaybeThisExists.com.

Running TidyGUI, this gets converted to:

ftp.MaybeThisExists.com.</p>

This breaks the run-in/dictionary style.

Why was that done?