Re: Unknown message running Tidy

From: Peter Evans <evans@i.hosei.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 18:34:07 +0900
To: html-tidy@w3.org
> Running Tidy over an HTML-document i get sometimes the following
message:

>>Tidy (vers 30th April 2000) Parsing "tmp.htm"
>>line 49 column 1 - Warning: html doctype doesn't match content

>>"tmp.htm" appears to be HTML proprietary
>>1 warnings/errors were found!

> What is the cause for this message?

One possibility is that you use a tag that doesn't belong to HTML as
defined in the DTD to which the doctype declaration points, e.g.:

I don't want <nobr>these words</nobr> broken

Or that the tag itself is OK but the attribute isn't, e.g.:

You might want to run the offending page through
http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/ to see what it says about the
troublesome line.

Peter Evans mailto:evans@i.hosei.ac.jp