tidy as a C++ library?

From: André Blavier <ablavier@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 21:40:36 +0100
To: <html-tidy@w3.org>
Hi everybody,

I'm the author of TidyGUI (a Windows GUI port of tidy) and TidyCOM (a
Windows COM component wrapper for tidy). I'd like to investigate your
opinion about a port of tidy as a Standard C++ library.
I've come up with this idea because TidyCOM has a significant drawback: it
is not reentrant, so it can't be safely used on multi-threaded servers. I
often receive requests asking me to make TidyCOM thread-safe. However,
TidyCOM is just a thin wrapper around Dave's C code and the numerous global
variables of the original code are still there.
I think the way to go is to rewrite tidy as a pure C++ library: I could then
make TidyCOM reentrant and, as a side effect, we would also be able to embed
tidy more easily in various C++ applications, on multiple platforms.
Now, I'm aware of the following:
- We already have a very nice object-oriented, multi-platform port of tidy:
JTidy.
- Porting to C++ will require a lot of work.
- Keeping the C++ code synchronised with Dave's code won't be easy.
So, before I start working on this project, I'd be glad to know what you
think about it: Would Tidy++ be a valuable asset for the community? Or do
you think Java is a one-size-fits-all solution?

Thanks for your input.

    -- André Blavier (ablavier@wanadoo.fr)