Re: tidy inserts a blank character

From: Gary L Peskin <garyp@firstech.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 15:52:08 -0800
To: Sami Lempinen <lempinen@iki.fi>
CC: Klaus Johannes Rusch <KlausRusch@atmedia.net>, html-tidy@w3.org
Sami Lempinen wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 05:23:21PM +0100, Klaus Johannes Rusch wrote:
> > Problem:
> > tidy inserts a blank character after the first character under some
> > conditions.
>
> The same bug is present in JTidy:
>
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
> <head>
> <title></title>
> </head>

> If any JTidy gurus (Gary? :) want to have a crack at this, we should
> have a fix rsn.

It's good to know that Andy left us with a faithful port of tidy!  I
have real reservations about "fixing" the JTidy code base and getting
out of sync with Tidy.  I think we should strive to keep the
implementations as identical as possible in this core functionality.

When Tidy is fixed, we will obviously reflect that change in JTidy.  But
I don't think it's a good idea to have local fixes all over the place.
I felt badly about the last fix but it was causing a java exception and
I annotated it clearly.  We'll have to remove it or revisit it when Tidy
is corrected.

How do others feel?

Gary