W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > html-tidy@w3.org > October to December 2000

Re: HTML -> XML -> WML using jtidy

From: Frank Steuer <steuer@ece.orst.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 15:15:57 -0700 (PDT)
To: Martin Wickman <martin.wickman@infohwy.se>
cc: html-tidy@w3.org
Message-ID: <Pine.LNX.4.10.10010281500090.969-100000@blackforest.cs.pdx.edu>

I try to do the same job - but to achieve a general solution.
I also used jtidy and then xalan and xerces to transform the XML documents
to wml (or cHTML, XHTML subsets or HTML subsets) via XSLT.

It works - more or less. The problems I have is that I try to transcode
documents I do not have any control about. (lots of errors, headings used 
as layout tool and not to define the structure of an document etc....)

One of the problems I still have to solve is the splitting of big xml
documents in several decks and cards. Here you should not have that big
problem, because you said that you have a kind of control about how the
html documents are written. And then you can define special comments or
tags to make that splitting easier. (and even offer a realy good
possibility of converting the html documents in WML applications that make 
sense - e.g. first only send a kind of menu to the user instead of the
whole document converted to WML etc)

I would try XSL(T). It is pretty easy and by changing the XSL stylesheets
you can try to get the wanted output. You don't have to change the
application, recompile it to java bytecode etc.

But I can't say anything about the other way you proposed because I did
not try to much in that direction.

I will publish the results of my work pretty soon as GPLed source. Right 
now it does not make sense because it is to much under construction and
not documented yet. 

Frank Steuer
for public PGP-key: finger -l steuer@ece.orst.edu
Received on Saturday, 28 October 2000 18:16:58 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:38:48 UTC