Re: bug report?

From: Bodo Eing <eingb@uni-muenster.de>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 11:15:02 +0200
To: <html-tidy@w3.org>, <fhavas@compucom.com>
Date sent:      	Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:08:07 -0400 (EDT)
Send reply to:  	<fhavas@compucom.com>
From:           	"Franchesca Havas" <fhavas@compucom.com>
To:             	<html-tidy@w3.org>
Forwarded by:   	gerald@w3.org
Date forwarded: 	Mon, 16 Oct 2000 16:00:31 -0400
Forwarded to:   	html-tidy@w3.org
Subject:        	bug report?

Franchesca, you wrote:

> Please forgive me if this is not a bug.
>
> When using tidy in Homesite 4.5a I noticed that any css that is inserted by
> it does not end the statement with a ;"> but with ">, leaving out the
> semicolon. I thought that in order for the css statement to be valid it must
> end with a semicolon then the quote and greater than symbol. Is this not
> true?

The semicolon is used as declaration separator and is not part of the
declaration itself . Thus is not necessary for the last declaration in a CSS
statement block. If CSS statements are generated by software, some programs
(but not tidy)  place a semincolon behind the last statement, because it is
easier to manipulate (e.g. adding or deleting declarations)  the statement. So,
what you reported is not a bug.

Bodo Eing

eingb@uni-muenster.de