Java Tidy at a Milestone

From: Andy Quick <ac.quick@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 22:30:54 -0400
To: <html-tidy@w3.org>
Cc: "Lars Marius Garshol" <larsga@garshol.priv.no>, <dsr@w3.org>
Hi all.  I have decided that I must close out my
role as maintainer of Java HTML Tidy.  I will
certainly make sure that Dave has the latest Java
tidy package, and I will provide assistance to
anyone who wants to take over that role.
I continue to be interested in the HTML Tidy
project, and as such, I may provide bug fixes
(or bug reports :-) from time to time.

I want to thank Dave and all the contributors
for the great work on an extremely useful software
tool.  I learned a lot from you.

I would like to put forth an idea for consideration:
Dave, have you ever thought of making Java tidy
the reference version?  I have nothing against C, and
certainly not your programming, but Java has a lot
of nice features that make it attractive: cross-platform
support, object-orientedness, internationalization
features, support for many character encodings,...
and I could go on.  If you are concerned about
performance, there exists Java-to-native-code
compilers.  I believe Java tidy is an accurate port of
C tidy, and it is very stable at this point.

Respectfully,

Andy Quick