RE: Extraneous <font> tags

From: Sebastian Lange <lange@cyperfection.de>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 16:45:20 +0200
To: <html-tidy@w3.org>
At 16:04 20.09.2000 +0200, Bertilo Wennergren wrote:
>Bischoff, Alex:
>
> > Many of my co-workers insist on using Dreamweaver (arghh), an HTML editor
> > that is slightly less-bad than Frontpage. Anyhow, I find that it's biggest
> > fault is that it throws in extra <font> tags all over the place..
>
>Make them use Dreamweaver 3, and whip them until they promise to never
>use that part of the program that produces font tags, but instead only
>use the part that produces CSS instead. It won't be paradise, but neither
>will it be hell anymore.

Dreamweaver 3 can use Allaire's HomeSite instead of the built-in HTML
editor, and HomeSite provides support for HTML Tidy (you can replace the
included tidy.exe with a newer version and you can create a custom tidy.cfg
of your preferences)...

It should not be all that difficult to teach those of colleagues that like
using Dreamweaver to keep a little bit of discipline and tidy up their
documents through HomeSite...

Also, as far as I know, Dreamweaver provides a function (under Menu/Extras
maybe) that combines redundant font tags and also pretty-prints the code...

So, ideally, the process of creating a pretty and valid HTML document with
dreamweaver would be: make your layout, fill it with content, clean up with
dreamweavers function in "Extras"(?), send it through tidy.

This should give optimal results (regarding the circumstances).

sebastian
--
Sebastian Lange
http://www.sl-chat.de/