From: html-tidy-request@w3.org [mailto:html-tidy-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Bjoern Hoehrmann
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2000 12:06 PM
To: Evan Lenz
Cc: html-tidy@w3.org
Subject: Re: Bug report: LINK tag not well-formed in output

* "Evan Lenz" <elenz@xyzfind.com> wrote:
| In testing my servlet which uses Tidy before doing XSLT processing, I've
| been uploading copies of various HTML pages on the Internet.
|
| This code:
|
| <STYLE>
| <LINK REL="stylesheet"
| HREF="http://www.thestreet.com/tsc/common/stylesheets/global.css"
| TYPE="text/css">
| </STYLE>
|
| Resulted in (XHTML mode):

| <LINK REL="stylesheet"
| HREF="http://www.thestreet.com/tsc/common/stylesheets/global.css"
| TYPE="text/css">

The input is valid, style data is CDATA. In XHTML it's PCDATA.

I think Tidy has to assume, that the input code is close to be perfect, so
it
can do two things:

 * encode occurences of < and & into &lt; and &amp; or
 * wrap the style data into <![CDATA[]]>

Any other action (besides reporting an error) isn't appropriate in my
opinion.
The input is valid HTML, so there aren't errors tidy has to correct. The
thing
tidy does in your case is conversion between HTML and XHTML syntax rules, so
one of the above actions (the latter is recommended in XHTML/1.0) should
take
place.

What you want and what you've meant with your code isn't the right thing to
do.

regards,
--
Björn Höhrmann ^ mailto:bjoern@hoehrmann.de ^ http://www.bjoernsworld.de