XHTML DOCTYPE and xmlns

From: Evan Lenz <elenz@xyzfind.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 12:39:46 -0700
To: <html-tidy@w3.org>

DOCTYPE declarations and namespace declarations are not the same thing, nor
do they necessarily depend on one another.  I would like to output XHTML
without a DOCTYPE declaration, but *with* an XHTML namespace declaration.

I'm using JTidy.  I see that in Lexer.java the setXHTMLDocType() method is
what's responsible for calling fixHTMLNameSpace() to include the namespace
declaration.  If the doctype mode is set to "omit", regardless of whether
setXHTML(true) was called, the method returns without calling
fixHTMLNameSpace().  Since they're two separate things, shouldn't
fixHTMLNameSpace() be called regardless of whether the doctype mode is
"omit"?  The answer to this seems to be to move the fixHTMLNameSpace()
method call to the top of the setXHTMLDocType() method.

Is there something I'm not considering here?

Thanks,

Evan Lenz
elenz@xyzfind.com
http://www.xyzfind.com