Re: xml parsing error for < character

From: Sebastian Lange <lange@cyperfection.de>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 12:50:19 +0200
To: html-tidy@w3.org
It would be great if Tidy gave an option to write JavaScript and CSS to an
external file, but this would involve QUITE SOME additional work...
Such a feature would not make much sense without the ability to parse (and
tidy) entire directory trees (that is: to tidy an entire project at one
run, putting JavaScript functions and CSS style rules into each one
external file)...

Lots of work, but certainly worth consideration!

At 11:21 01.09.2000 +0100, Dave Raggett wrote:
>I am uncertain as what HTML Tidy should do about this problem.
>If it wraps the contents of a script element in a CDATA marked
>section, it will stop the pages working in existing browsers.
>Ditto if it escapes the problem characters. It could write the
>contents of the script element to a new file, but what file
>name should it use?  One possibility is simply to warn if Tidy
>finds < and & within script elements, placing the burden on
>the user to decide how to deal with the problem.
>What do people think about this?

Sebastian Lange
Maybe the first chat site that validates as HTML
4.0 even though user input may contain HTML codes.

Courtesy to Dave Raggett's HTML Tidy:

Tidy your documents ONLINE: