Re: [Moderator Action] bug? as designed? or user error?

From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 15:40:37 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)
To: john.bigby@autodesk.com
cc: html-tidy@w3.org
On Wed, 22 Mar 2000 john.bigby@autodesk.com wrote:

> I'm using HTML Tidy as part of HomeSite 4.5 (in place of their
> default codesweeper). We're really impressed with your product!
>
> But now we're trying something a little tricky, and Tidy is
> getting confused and deleting stuff. Here's the scenario: We're
> creating topics for a compiled Windows HTML Help system. Some of
> our topics include a table that uses data binding to dynamically
> read in data from a tab-delimited text file as the user 'mouses
> over' a list of commands. HTML Tidy doesn't recognize the
> 'datasrc', 'datafld', and 'dataformatas' <DIV> attributes. More
> importantly, it's deleting the <DIV> tags because they're empty.

The current release of Tidy doesn't know about Microsoft's
databinding mechanism. I have added the numerous data binding
attributes and tweaked the code so that empty div's are not pruned
if they include attributes. I will post a new release of Tidy
with these improvements in April, and hope you won't mind waiting
until then.

Regards,

tel/fax: +44 122 578 3011 (or 2521) +44 385 320 444 (mobile)