Re: Bug(?) Report for Dave Raggett.

From: <JAMESICUS@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:45:35 -0600
To: lvirden@cas.org, html-tidy@w3.org

In a message dated 1/20/00 5:42:30 AM US Mountain Standard Time, Larry
Virden
wrote:

>  There is a web site out there somewhere - is it the w3.org one? - which
>  not only lists the errors, but also lists the reason for the error and
>  the action that should be taken, giving the user hyperlinks to
appropriate
>  standards, etc.
>
>  Anyone remember which one of the online validators this is?<snip>The W3C Validator does this, although maybe not in a very warm fuzzy way.
It
is much easier to pinpoint and correct errors if the "Show Source Input"
block is checked.  Not all Validators are up to date - in concert with -
valid HTML standards or use correct DTD's (Document Type Descriptions).
IMHO
an excellent primer regarding Validators can be found at:

All Things Web - Understanding HTML Validation

http://pantos.org/atw/h-valid.html

There are clickable hyperlinks to validation tools (via logos) on the pages
of the mini-site listed in my signature block.  Without wishing to appear
self-serving, I ask those interested to visit the "Standards Now" and
"Campaign for a non-Browser specific WWW" (also has excellent information
regarding Validation) web pages.

James Pickering
Tucson, Arizona
jamesicus@aol.com