Re: HTML heading hierarchy for XHTML

From: Marc Rubin, Jay's Island Software Development & Consulting <html-tidy@mail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:45:41 -0600
To: html-tidy@w3c.org
Cc: "P. T. Rourke" <ptrourke@mediaone.net>, Jany Quintard <quintard.j@cgi.fr>

My goal is -automated- conversion of many existing HTML documents to XHTML,
while taking advantage of XML to structure the relationship among headings.
Nested headings are valid XML, but not XHTML: sorry, I should have caught
that... but Tidy appears to be the right tool for the job.

Both of the nested "div" suggestions work acceptably in w3c's Amaya browser
-- thanks for the feedback. Conversion to "name"ed divs seems more direct
than "class"ified paragraphs, but I may be missing some other advantage.

The question now is whether either of these solutions could be incorporated
into Tidy as an option?:

<!-- Courtesy of P. T. Rourke -->

or

<!-- Courtesy of Jany Quintard (modified) -->

I'd appreciate feedback on feasibility from anyone familiar with Tidy's
source code?

Thanks,
Marc