Re: HTML heading hierarchy for XHTML

From: Marc Rubin, Jay's Island Software Development & Consulting <html-tidy@mail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:45:41 -0600
To: html-tidy@w3.org

Thanks for the detailed analysis, Patrick. If we consider presentation as a
separate issue (below), would there be any downside to omitting ids (and
classes) from the divs?:

 <h1>First Order Heading</h1>   <h2>Second Order Heading</h2></div>

For presentation I'd like to allow interactive collapsing and expanding of
the nodes in an XHTML tree. Plan A is to modify Amaya's Table of Contents
View for this. Plan B is to create a platform-independent stylesheet based
on MS Internet Explorer 5's default stylesheet, which is available at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml/samples/defaultss/defaultss.xsl

These plans might prove impractical and are certainly off-topic here, but I
mention them to explain why I see presentation as separate from structure.

If all this makes sense, then I'd like to pursue the question of whether an
option could be added to Tidy, to enclose each HTML heading in <div>s as
shown above?