Re: HTML heading hierarchy for XHTML

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Marc Rubin, Jay's Island Software Development &
Consulting wrote:

> My goal is -automated- conversion of many existing HTML documents to
XHTML,
> .../...
> that... but Tidy appears to be the right tool for the job.
>
> Both of the nested "div" suggestions work acceptably in w3c's Amaya
browser
> -- thanks for the feedback. Conversion to "name"ed divs seems more direct
> than "class"ified paragraphs, but I may be missing some other advantage.
>
> The question now is whether either of these solutions could be
incorporated
> into Tidy as an option?:
>

> <!-- Courtesy of P. T. Rourke -->
The problem here is that (if as Jelks Cabaniss said) name is ID, the
structure of the file is not easy to modify, because, when you add a
division somewhere, all IDs after it have to be modified.

> or
>
> <!-- Courtesy of Jany Quintard (modified) -->
>
> I'd appreciate feedback on feasibility from anyone familiar with Tidy's
> source code?
I am not familiar with Tidy code :-(
I prefer the second solution because it is a way to get rid of hn
elements which IMO are not needed. What we should need in
well-structured HTML would be a <divtitle> element (But this is my
preussian-psycho-rigid view of SGML/XML languages). Actually, hn are
useful shortcuts, but the purity of the model suffers from them.
And the XHTML DTDs do *not* have any divtitle element.

The tools to make the transformation is *not* Tidy, but some SGML tool
(like OpenJade for example, but there must be others).

Jany.