Help on "whitespace"

From: Martin Brunecky <mbrunecky@OneRealm.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:45:35 -0600
To: <html-tidy@w3.org>

Hi:
can someone point me  to a document (document portion) or an article
which clearly  defines the rules for treatment of white-space and
new-line characters  within the HTML source ? Including the
rules for using  entities such as &nbsp;

All my HTML books  seem to be really vague about this subject, and
I am probably stupid  'cause I don't see how to get this info from the
DTDs.