Re: Too much cleanup

The "indent" option appears to take care of our designer's
immediate concerns (yeesh, how did I miss that in the
documentation!).

I'm still paranoid about the idea of normalizing our HTML code
at all, because of the general crappiness of both IE and Netscape.
God knows what kind of formatting wackiness that proper HTML tags
will cause.

But like you say, we can always do some pre/post processing to fix
these.   Tidy seems to do such a good job on our files that it
seems a shame not to use it just because it creates correct code!

Thanks!

-Mike

On Fri, Feb 18, 2000 at 05:26:36PM +0900, Peter Evans wrote:
> Mike Bridge on Tidy:
>
> > I would like it not to touch
> > the indenting/linebreaking scheme that's already there.
>
> Dave Raggett has explained in http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/ why
this
> isn't and won't be an option. (Look for the subtitle "Layout style".)
>
> > Our web designer informs me that this will create subtle
browser-specific
> > formatting problems, for example, closing and opening TR and
> > TD tags must be on the same line when they enclose adjoining images,
> > otherwise browsers will put some extra space between the cells,
>
> Are there any other problems?  If not, it would be easy to run a
> search-and-replace to remove these line breaks.  (Since I use
MS-DOS/Windows

--
Mike Bridge <bridge@gsnet.com>
System Administrator