Re: Too much cleanup

From: Peter Evans <evans@i.hosei.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:46:26 -0600
To: html-tidy@w3.org

Mike Bridge on Tidy:

> I would like it not to touch
> the indenting/linebreaking scheme that's already there.

Dave Raggett has explained in http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/ why
this
isn't and won't be an option. (Look for the subtitle "Layout style".)

> Our web designer informs me that this will create subtle browser-specific
> formatting problems, for example, closing and opening TR and
> TD tags must be on the same line when they enclose adjoining images,
> otherwise browsers will put some extra space between the cells,

Are there any other problems?  If not, it would be easy to run a
search-and-replace to remove these line breaks.  (Since I use
MS-DOS/Windows
and am too lazy/stupid to program, my preferred tool is a compact and cheap
old
version of SNR; a big new GUI version of this can be downloaded from
http://www.bcpl.net/~wnidiffe/stextu.html and I think the package includes
"console-mode" version.  With UNIX, I'm sure you're spoiled for choice.)
Peter Evans evans@i.hosei.ac.jp