tidy 30th November bug with unrecognized closing tag.

From: S Page <spage@macromedia.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:45:23 -0600
To: html-tidy@w3.org

Great tool!
tidy prints misleading error messages given the following:

<HEAD>
<TITLE>Tidy bug with unrecognized tag</TITLE><body>
            Main area.
            <BOGUS_TAG>
                tidy treats the closing bogus tag below as a /td,
                and hence mistakenly complains about all the tags
                after it.
            </BOGUS_TAG>
            <hr>
            <FORM>
                <input type="submit">
            </FORM>

- - - - - - - -

% tidy -errors ~/junk/tidy_bug.html

Tidy (vers 30th November 1999) Parsing "/home/spage/junk/tidy_bug.html"
line 11 column 14 - Error: <bogus_tag> is not recognized!
line 11 column 14 - Warning: discarding unexpected <bogus_tag>
line 16 column 13 - Warning: <hr> isn't allowed in <tr> elements
line 17 column 13 - Warning: <form> isn't allowed in <tr> elements
line 20 column 9 - Warning: discarding unexpected </td>

The last three errors are misleading, we're still in the <td> element.

(I am using an HTML templating system that leaves its own tags in its
output.)

--
=S Page  Macromedia Web site engineer
  "A strange and fantastical object which also amounts to one of the