Re: tabs vs spaces

On Sun, 20 Feb 2000, Michael D. Hubbard wrote:

> I'm curious about the use of tabs instead of spaces for
> indenting. I have always liked tabs (maily because of display in
> my editors).  The tidy web page says "Tidy never outputs tabs".
> Is there a particular reason for this or just an option not
> implemented?

The number of columns for each tab stop varies from one system or
program to another, Unix systems generally use 8, but other systems
often use 4 or 5 columns. Many people like to use a smaller number
of spaces, to maximize the space remaining before the right margin.
In principle, an option could be added to use tabs, but this isn't a
frequently requested option.

tel/fax: +44 122 578 3011 (or 2521) +44 385 320 444 (mobile)